Friday, July 27, 2007


This was forwarded to me by my son, an Afghanistan veteran;

One of my sons serves in the military.He is stationed stateside, here in California . He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and welcoming people were to him and his troops everywhere they go.Telling me how people shake their hands and thank them for being willing to serve and fight, not only our own freedoms but so that others may have them too.
Then he told me about an incident in the grocery store he stopped at yesterday, on his way home from the base. He said that several people were in the line ahead of him, including a woman dressed in a burkha. He said when she got to the cashier, she made a loud remark about the U.S. Flag, lapel pin, the cashier wore on her smock.The cashier reached up and touched the pin and said, 'Yes, I always wear it proudly, because I'm an American.'
The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi.Then, a Gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around my son's shoulders and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman:
Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have fought and died so that YOU could stand here, in MY country and accuse a check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we wouldn't need to be there today.But, hey, if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way back to Iraq , so you can straighten out the Mess in YOUR country, that you are obviously here in MY country to avoid.
Everyone within hearing distance cheered! IF YOU AGREE... Pass this on to all of your proud American friends.
I just did.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Just Wondering?

After Saturday's tax election for the City of Alexandria, it is becoming even more painfully obvious that our citizens just do not care. If the outcome of the election was suitable to you, then all is well that ends well - until you realize that just 7% of the citizens of the City of Alexandria made a very important decision for the rest of you. Yep, 93% of the registered voters will abide by what the 7% voted for. What happened to majority rule? Well, I guess the majority has just given up - abdicated their responsibility or something. There is not an issue that is decided by the voters that warrants this poor turnout.
It is also very obvious that this phenomenon cuts across racial and socio-economic classes also. There would have to be a large number of both black and white voters absent as well as rich, middle-class and poor also to have poll numbers that low.
I can hardly think of a more important issue than a tax election , but, it appears that it would not matter what the issue.
Does anyone have any insight as to why folks will not participate in our system of governance. Is it possible that most feel that there is no use to try or the system is rigged?
Someone say something - - please.